Thursday, December 15, 2011

Today in "Give me a break"

I lived in California at the time that Dan White killed San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk.  When White came with the "twinkie defense" I thought it was the damnedest thing I'd ever heard.  I was wrong.

Sandusky Attorney: Maybe He Was “Teaching Kids How To Shower”
“Some of these kids don’t have basic hygiene skills,” attorney Karl Rominger said. “Teaching a person to shower at the age of 12 or 14 sounds strange to some people, but people who work with troubled youth will tell you there are a lot of juvenile delinquents and people who are dependent who have to be taught basic life skills like how to put soap on their body.”

Give me a break.  Turns out that Rominger's statement was so dumb that even he didn't believe it:

“Some commentators have argued that I am saying that Mr. Sandusky showered with youths and touched them inappropriately for the purpose of teaching them how to shower,” Rominger said. “That is not what I said.”

“First, there’s no evidence of inappropriate touching in a shower, except for discredited statements from the grand jury presentment,” he said. “Further, Jerry has maintained his innocence and denies any sexual touching or inappropriate touching in the shower.”

“Therefore, I would like to clarify that I am not suggesting that this is what happened in this case, but was answering questions about possible motivations an individual might have for an adult to shower with a juvenile,” he said.
Somebody should remind Rominger that like his client he has the right to remain silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment